Cold and flu season is upon us, and for many people, this is a miserable time. While the most common way to deal with this season is to stock up on medicine and chicken soup, there are several ways to reduce your chances of getting sick.
Here are 5 effective and natural ways to combat cold and flu season.
- Wash your hands often: Washing your hands regularly (several times a day) will reduce the chance of you getting the cold or flu. While the cold or flu virus cannot enter your body through your hands, your hands can transfer the virus to your mouth, eyes, or nose.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise is one of the best ways to keep diseases at bay as it promotes the circulation of immune cells. Instead of curling up in front of a warm fireplace with a hot cup of cocoa this season, take 30 minutes each day to engage in moderate-intensity exercises. This includes jogging, walking, or doing household chores.
- Consume a diet that is rich in Omega-3 Fats & Citrus: Healthy fats such as salmon, flaxseed and walnuts, help your body function at peak level i.e., a boosted immune system. Citrus fruits are also another excellent cold fighting option as the soft white layer of skin found on oranges, lemons, grapefruits and limes contain flavonoids, which can help boost the immune system and assist in speeding up the recovery process.
In contrast, processed foods, refined sugars, and grains should be avoided during this time.
- Avoid touching surfaces in public areas: The cold and flu can be spread through surface contact, meaning that you can get sick by simply touching something that a sick person has touched. As you can imagine, surfaces which have been touched by a lot of people are more likely to be teeming with bacteria. This includes door handles, toilet seats, and water taps.
Carry a handkerchief with you in case you need to make contact with a surface in a public area (e.g. turn a door handle.)
- Get your upholstery and carpet professionally cleaned: It is vital for you to maintain the cleanliness of your surfaces especially at home where you spend the most time. Standard cleaning often leaves behind the germs and allergens that could make you sick, however, professional cleaning will eliminate most of these microorganisms.
Unlike other professional cleaners who use harsh chemicals, here at CitruSolution we use a citrus-based cleanser that eliminates dirt and grime while minimizing allergens. To take a proactive role in fighting the cold and flu season, book your carpet and upholstery cleaning today!