Nashville area friends, school is out for winter break, and many of us have vacation and holiday time off for work. The days just seem to get a little bit longer and longer once the Christmas presents are opened and cabin fever sets in. We’re having a relatively mild winter (so far!) and there is always something to do with kids, both little ones as well as tweens and teens!
Depending on how much time you have off for work, map out a few winter break bucket list items and schedule them before Christmas. That way you’ll have a plan! And if you don’t get to all of them, you’ll have ideas for the next holiday break.
15 Fun Winter Break Activities in Middle Tennessee
- Spend the day at Adventure Science Center downtown.
- Head to a Nashville Predators home game at Bridgestone Arena.
- Speaking of ice skating, Centennial Sportsplex or the Ford Ice Center both offer open skate times. Or visit the temporary outdoor rink at Ascend Amphitheater in downtown Nashville (click here for more information and to buy tickets).
- If skating on ice isn’t your thing, try old school roller skating. The Brentwood Skate Center is hosting a New Year’s Eve skate session from noon to 5 and a nighttime skate party from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. (They are closed New Year’s Day and then reopen with special holiday hours January 2-4.)
- Hosting friends or family from out of town? Consider a tour of classic Nashville! Some ideas include the Country Music Hall of Fame, RCA Studio B, The Grand Ole Opry, The Ryman, the Johnny Cash Museum or Musician’s Hall of Fame. Eat lunch or dinner at a Nashville classic like Brown’s Diner, The Loveless or Swett’s.
- Tour a historic home. The Middle Tennessee area has a multitude of historic homes and many will still be decorated for the holiday season until New Year’s Day. Here’s just a few suggestions : The Hermitage, Rock Castle, Traveller’s Rest and Belle Meade Plantation.
- Admission to The Frist Center is FREE for kids Plan a visit with 2 adults and tag team. One adult can take the kids to the Martin Artquest Gallery upstairs while the other enjoys the art exhibits.
- Go bowling! Older teens will enjoy lunch and bowling at Pinewood Social downtown or King’s Dining & Entertainment at Cool Springs Mall. For a more authentic bowling alley experience, try Franklin Family Entertainment.
- Encourage your kids to bounce off the walls, literally! There are several inflatable bounce centers and trampoline parks in the Nashville area: Sky High Sports, Bounce U!, Pump it Up, Hoppity Hop, Monkey Joe’s, Above All, Jumpstreet, and two new ones, Altitude Trampoline Park and Urban Air Adventure Park.
- Plan a day of volunteering. Hands on Nashville has lots of opportunities for families with teens age 16 and older. Cheekwood, for example, needs workers for their Holiday Lights event.
- Speaking of teenagers, a day climbing at an indoor climbing facility is a great way to get out and active! All ages can climb at the East location but it’s 13 and up only at the West location. The Crag in Franklin and The Ascent in Murfreesboro are two other great options.
- Unplug and go for a hike. Middle Tennessee’s warmer December and January days are perfect for a trip to Radnor Lake or hiking at Edwin Warner Park.
- Get artsy at Fired Up! or Brushfire Pottery or try a paint and party facility like River Art Studio in Bellevue.
- Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit like Christmas lights. This year’s newest attraction is the Franktown Festival of Lights – Load up the family in the car and head out to Williamson County’s only drive-thru light display featuring a mile of holiday lights. Admission benefits nonprofit Franktown which aids underserved youth. On display now through December 29. (And you can save on Groupon.)
- Test your family’s skills and strengths with an attempt at the Nashville Escape Game (Berry Hill or Downtown locations).
Enjoy making memories with friends and family this winter break!
Nashville area carpet cleaning company CitruSolution utilizes environmentally-friendly, citrus-based cleanser for safe, effective, child/pet friendly cleaning. Working in Brentwood, Nashville, and Franklin Tennessee since 2008, CitruSolution is safe and effective for Oriental Rugs, carpeting, and upholstered furniture. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and call us at (615) 333-8977 to schedule an appointment.